When it comes to the products we sell, The Save Mart Companies chooses vendors and suppliers that share our commitment to high standards. They must operate ethical work environments and produce safe, high-quality products. The Company understands its business activities impact the Earth. We are committed to a number of sustainable practices and continue to add more initiatives that help us do our part. With 208 stores throughout California and Northern Nevada, what we do has a measurable impact. In 2016, we diverted more than 85% of our stores’ waste out of landfills.
- Composting: The Save Mart Companies was one of the first grocers to begin composting store waste, embracing the practice in 1997. In 2016, we composted 19,636 tons of food scraps. In partnership with California Safe Soil, the Company is also moving to new technology that transforms our organic waste into liquid fertilizer in three hours.
- Cardboard Recycling: 36,000 tons
- Soft Plastics Recycling: 961 tons
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: The Save Mart Companies has 33 charging stations conveniently located at select stores throughout 14 cities, and will be adding more!
- Transportations: Our distribution centers use state-of-the art software that helps cut down on emissions by mapping out the best delivery routes and avoiding unnecessary miles. All of our trucks are in compliance with the California Air Resources Board standards.