Based in the heart of the Central Valley, The Save Mart Companies, a Kingswood Capital Management, LP portfolio company, is committed to sourcing a wide variety of local products and serves communities throughout California and Northern Nevada. The company operates approximately 200 stores under the banners of Save Mart, Lucky California and FoodMaxx. In addition to its retail operation, the company also operates Smart Refrigerated Transport and is a partner in Super Store Industries (SSI), which owns and operates a distribution center in Lathrop and the Sunnyside Farms dairy processing plant in Turlock.
Over 14,000 Employees
Unions representing our employees-
- F.C.W.- Local 5, Local 8, Local 648, Local 711, & Local 770
- Teamsters- Local 150, Local 386, & Local 439
- 81 Full-service stores
- Redding to Bakersfield in California, east to Sparks, NV
- 66 Full-service stores- Greater Bay Area
- Lucky California Stores- 45
- Lucky Stores- 21
- 52 Price-impact stores
- Northern and Central California, east to Sparks, NV
- 1 Price-impact store in Modesto
- 191 stores
- Save Mart stores- 74
- Lucky/Lucky California stores- 66
- FoodMaxx Stores- 50
- MaxxValue Store- 1
- 9 Full-service and price-impact stores
- Save Mart stores- 7
- FoodMaxx stores- 2
- 89 Full-service pharmacies
- Save Mart stores- 46
- Lucky California stores- 30
- Lucky stores- 13
- Shane Sampson: Executive Chairman
- Chris McGarry: Chief Executive Officer
- Ali Sadiq: Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Hal Levitt: Senior Vice President, Retail Operations and Supply Chain
- Rebecca Calvin: Senior Vice President, Chief Merchandising Officer
- Barbara Walker: Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer
- Praveen Madhavankutty: Vice President, Chief Information Officer
- Lee Gelb: Vice President, Human Resources
- Stephanie Wu: Vice President, Legal and Risk Management
Banner Operations Team
- George Ross: Vice President, Store Operations, Save Mart
- Bobby McDowell: Vice President, Store Operations, Lucky
- Dean Willhite: Vice President, Store Operations, FoodMaxx
Supply Chain Leadership
Bruce Christiansen, Vice President, Supply Chain
- Yosemite Wholesale (Merced, CA) is 220,000 sq. ft. with refrigerated and dry goods.
- Roseville Save Mart Distribution Center is 420,000 sq. ft. with refrigerated and dry goods.
- SMART Refrigerated Transport (Lathrop, CA) is a trucking firm that provides all transport to TSMC stores.
- Super Store Industries (Lathrop, CA; ssi.com) has 900,000 sq. ft. of frozen, refrigerated, and dry storage space. It uses the combined buying power of more than one privately-owned grocery chain, including voting partner Save Mart Supermarkets, to purchase or produce products at the lowest possible cost without sacrificing quality. SSI owns and operates Sunnyside Farms Dairies (Fairfield and Turlock, CA).
Annual Community Giving
The Save Mart Companies invested approximately $860,000 back into communities throughout California and Northern Nevada in 2021.
- Community Giving: Product or gift cards to support local events, sport team sponsorships, adopted schools, etc.
- A.R.E.S. Foundation: Grants for improvements to the community, arts, recreation, education and sports
- Fundraising Campaigns: Benefiting children’s hospitals and local food banks
Food Waste Reduction / Recycling
The Save Mart Companies diverting 85% of stores’ waste out of landfills each year.
- Over 6 million pounds of fresh food was donated to Feeding America and its partner food banks in our operating area in 2021
- 10,300 tons of organic waste were composted in 2021
- Over 31,000 tons of cardboard recycled in 2021
- 772 tons of soft plastic recycled in 2021