Caroline’s Cart Available in Two Save Mart Stores
Modesto, August 10, 2014 – Caroline’s Cart is a shopping cart created for special needs children. The cart provides parents and caregivers a viable option to transport a child through a store while grocery shopping, without simultaneously having to maneuver a wheelchair and a traditional grocery cart. The cart is named after Caroline, the special needs daughter of Drew Ann and David Long.
Save Mart received a request from local shopper and mother, Carolina Alfaro, to consider providing a Caroline’s Cart in her Turlock Save Mart store. Carolina made the request as a legacy to her twin sons with special needs; she understood the challenges of trying to do simple tasks with them like grocery shopping.
“Save Mart is grateful to the Afaro family for their passion and advocacy in bringing our attention to this unique and valuable grocery cart,” said Alicia Rockwell, Public Affairs Director. “We are excited to create a remarkable shopping experience for these families and look forward to making this cart available in more communities.”
Caroline’s Cart is available in two Save Mart store locations:
Save Mart Supermarkets at 2595 Geer Road, Turlock, CA
Save Mart Supermarkets at 3601 Pelandale Avenue, Modesto, CA
The grocery carts have a special location inside the store and families are welcome to call ahead to have a service specialist meet them in the parking lot with the cart. Special features of Caroline’s Cart include:
- Handles on cart swing back providing convenient access to the seat
- Seat back has five degree tilt for low muscle tone children and abductor to keep child upright
- Seat faces caregiver maintaining eye contact with child to minimize anxiety issues and to monitor children prone to seizures
- platform below seat provides a footrest
- A harness secures the child so caregiver can shop freely